Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Meal Braid

The Bruce and I have a little inside joke about "Get Rich Quick" infomercials, and that's that they can never quite explain how you lay your hands on the seed money that is supposed to start you on your path to riches. Every time we see one, we laugh and say, "First, you take your million dollars..."

This recipe is a little like that, because, "First, you take a loaf of homemade bread dough..."
It can be any kind of dough (try this one), even a thawed out Rhoad's loaf or something. I just find that while we love homemade bread, we also like a little variety, so I was really happy to learn this handy skill at Enrichment one night.

So. Roll out your bread dough thin enough to fill a cookie sheet. Here's a tip: I don't roll out my doughs in flour, I use cooking spray (like Pam.) I use my mad skills trying to get the consistency of my dough just perfect, so I don't like to jeopardize that by accidentally incorporating too much flour when shaping the dough. Spray away, then! Just a couple shots on your counter, then on your dough, then roll away. Once your dough is in the pan, cut strips down each side about an inch a part. (I'm using a 4" plastic paint scraper. It's just the right length and doesn't scratch the pans. Get one at Walmart or Home Depot for less than a dollar.)

Then pile whatever you want (Read: LEFTOVERS!) down the middle.
This one has chive and onion cream cheese, cooked chicken, and Italian cheese blend. You can use whatever your family likes- cold cuts and cheeses of any kind, pizza fillings, or I've grilled steak, onions, and peppers and made a "Philly Braid." Also tasty are dessert varieties: think cream cheese, jam, and a little powdered sugar glaze on top.

Fold the strips over to the opposite side, pressing it in a little. Alternate sides for the braid effect.

When it's all braided, pinch the ends together and tuck them under a little so they look nice, then let rise for a few minutes (or skip it, like I always do), and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Slice and enjoy!

No comments: