Saturday, May 01, 2010

Green Curry Chicken

I love a recipe with only a few ingredients, especially if they are ingredients that I generally have on hand, so this one from Cooking Light (of course) was a winner with us. I think the next time I make it I might jazz it up a little with some onions cooked with the chicken, and maybe some peanuts sprinkled on top, but here it is as published:

Green Curry Chicken
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
1 pound chicken breast, cubed into 1" pieces
2-3 teaspoons green curry paste
1-14 oz. light coconut milk, divided
2 cups chopped bell peppers (any colors)

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Stir in 1/4 tsp. salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt. Add chicken to pan; saute 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned. Stir in curry paste (I used 2 teaspoons- it was a little hot but I could stand it, and I'm a wimp); cook 1 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 cup of coconut milk, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring occasionally. Stir in bell peppers, 1/4 tsp. salt, and remaining coconut milk; cook 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro if desired. Yield: 4 servings at 282 calories each.

A note from me: Make sure to buy the light coconut milk unless you are looking to pack on some serious weight.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sounds yummy. Do you have a favorite brand of curry paste? Oh, and throw some fresh basil leaves in at the last second. That's what our favorite Thai place does and it's divine. Of course I'm sure they don't use light coconut milk which also contributes to the divinity.