Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sugar-Coated Pecans

Perhaps you are familiar with those delectable sugary nuts sold at malls and fairs? I know how to make them.

Sugar-Coated Pecans

1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1 pound pecan halves (I've subbed walnuts and cashews, but pecans are my favorite)
1 cup white sugar (counting carbs? You can use Splenda. The results aren't identical, but your end result is still very good.)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, whip the egg white and water until frothy. Add nuts to egg whites and stir until nuts are coated evenly. Add sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Spread nuts out on a greased baking sheet (as usual, I use parchment paper). Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

I will warn you that the first couple of time you stir these nuts, they will seem like a sticky mess. Fear not. Things will come around by the 45 minute or 60 minute mark.

No comments: