Friday, May 07, 2010

French Baguettes

This is Bruce's favorite bread that I make (except for cinnamon rolls). He should thank his sister for introducing me to this recipe. I always double this so that I have leftovers for French Toast the next morning.

French Baguettes
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups bread flour (high gluten/"Better for Bread" variety)
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

If you have a bread maker, put these ingredients in the pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer and use the dough setting. For everyone else (like me, who prefers her mixer):
Place water, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a mixer. Begin running mixer with dough hook attachment; add the salt. With mixer running continuously, add the flour 1 cup at a time, allowing each to incorporate before adding the next. When all the flour has been added in, let the mixer run for an additional 5 minutes or so. (If you are hand kneading, do so for 10 minutes. I hope you have something good to watch on TV while you are at it.)

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 16x12 inch rectangle. The measurements don't need to be exact, but really try to get the shape right. Cut dough in half, creating (2) 8x12 inch rectangles. Roll up each half of dough tightly, beginning on the 12" side (you want a long and skinny loaf). Roll gently back and forth to taper end. Place loaves seam side down 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet (as usual, I prefer parchment paper). Make deep diagonal slashes (about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch) across loaves every two inches. Cover and let rise for 30-40 minutes, until doubled in bulk.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix egg yolk with 1 T water; brush over tops of loaves. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.

***A note from me: When I double this recipe, I still just make two BIG loaves instead of 4 little skinny ones, and I stick closer to the 40 minute rise time and the 25 minute baking time.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I've also had good success with this recipe when used for pizza dough.