Saturday, May 08, 2010

Buttermilk Banana Bread

It seemed to me that every time I purchased a bunch of bananas, we would eat them until there were only 3 left, and then all of a sudden, Bruce wouldn't touch them. I thought this a mysterious phenomenon until I sorted out that Bruce knew that banana bread takes 3 bananas, and he was leaving them in hopes that I whip some up.

With calculation like that on his part, he definitely deserves the best banana bread I can make, and here's my favorite recipe:

Buttermilk Banana Bread
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
3 mashed bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash baking soda
1 cup nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Combine oil, sugar, bananas, eggs, and buttermilk. Whisk in dry ingredients until combined. Divide batter into greased bread pans (I find this recipe makes about 1 regular loaf PLUS 4 mini-loaves, or I divide the mixture evenly between two loaf pans. It's just a little too much to fit in a single bread pan). Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (about 25 min for mini-loaves). Let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove loaves to cooling rack.

The other reason I like this recipe is to do with my vanity. The loaves come out a beautiful blond color with none of those weird brown flecks that banana bread is so frequently afflicted with.

No comments: