Monday, May 31, 2010

Grandma Barratt's Meatballs

My dad has been asking me lately if I knew how to make his mother's meatballs, so I did some hunting and I did have the recipe!

Grandma Barratt's Meatballs

1 lb. ground beef
2 potatoes, grated
2 carrots, grated
1/2 of a medium onion, finely diced
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. I used the food processor so that the carrots and potatoes were ground up very fine, but you don't have to do it this way. Shape into meatballs (this recipe will require a 9x13 pan) or do as I did: 12 mini-meatloaves in a muffin tin. Cover with foil and bake until cooked through (the "Hamburger Muffins," as Bruce christened them, took 45 minutes, so plan on about 35 for meatballs). Grandma Barratt made a sauce with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup of water that she would mix together then pour over her meatballs before baking, but I skipped the sauce.

No comments: