Tuesday, May 04, 2010

French Toast Casserole with Buttermilk Syrup

I've been informed by my friend Lisa that this recipe blog has zero legitimacy until French Toast Casserole has been added. She's got a point: My SIL Cheryl sent this recipe my way, and since I've started making it, this recipe's been passed around like a sleazy head cheerleader. Don't skip the syrup- even if you are a little iffy on buttermilk, you won't be after you try this heavenly concoction.

French Toast Casserole
1 loaf bread (regular bread, french bread, whatever.)
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 (8oz) cream cheese (I've used lowfat with success.)
1 dozen eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Cube the bread and place in greased 9x13 pan. Blend the remaining ingredients in the blender then pour over bread. Unless your blender is very large, you will have to do this in 2 batches. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

To Bake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 45 min, until golden brown. Serve with buttermilk syrup.

Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutions. Keep your margarine away from my delicious syrup.)
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, buttermilk, and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk in soda and vanilla. The syrup will really expand when soda is added, so use at least a 3 or 4 quart pan or you are going to be scrubbing your stove instead of enjoying breakfast.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yum, thanks so much. I copied the link and sent to Matt to tell him that I WILL be eating this for Mother's Day Sunday. I'll even make it the night before, but he needs to wake up, bake it, and serve it.