Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lydia's Favorite Bread Recipe

Lydia is my neighbor, and her sister owns a bakery in Ohio. This is her recipe. I have been on the search for an easy wheat bread recipe that is reliable and moist and I think this one fits the bill. Disclaimer: Do not attempt this recipe in anything but a Bosch mixer. If you are using anything else, cut the recipe in half or you will be in the market for a new mixer, catch my drift?

Favorite Bread
6 cups hot water
3/4 cup oil
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 T salt
3 T yeast (again, buy SAF yeast. That is all.)
12-15 cups flour, wheat or white (High gluten "Better for Bread" flours are your best bet. For those in the Utah county area: Lehi Roller Mills Turkey Flour. You can get it at the Mill or Costco.)

Combine water, oil, brown sugar, salt, and 6 cups of flour, mixing well. Add yeast then the remaining 6-9 cups of flour. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, letting each one fully incorporate before adding the next. Add flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl but still sticks to the bottom. Let mixer run for an additional 8-10 minutes (if you are kneading by hand, knead for 16-20 minutes and then send me a picture of your super buff arms.) Shape into loaves, let rise for 30 minutes, then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 4-5 loaves.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Is that a threat? Not only am I NOT going to use a Bosch, I think I will use a wooden spoon. From the dollar store.