Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken Chili

I have several chili recipes that I thoroughly enjoy, and this is a mash-up of several of them based on the ingredients I had on hand tonight. It turned out surprisingly good- even my children ate it, and it was fast- maybe 20 minutes start to finish.

Chicken Chili
2 T canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 diced pepper, any color
1 cup shredded carrots (you don't have to put these in, but I am always trying to find ways to get more veggies in our diets.)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb to 3/4 pound cooked and shredded chicken
1/2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fat free half and half

Saute pepper, onion, and carrots in oil until soft. Add spices and saute for a minute more. Add chicken, chiles, beans, and chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes, then add half and half. You can skip the half and half if you want, but I like the creamy taste that it adds. Serve topped with sour cream and crushed up corn chips.

Here's a tip on cooked chicken- whenever chicken breasts go on sale for a good price, I buy quite a bit. I freeze some raw, but I also fill my crock pot with chicken breasts and cook them on low for 4 or 6 hours. Then I shred the chicken into freezer bags (about 2 cups each) so that whenever I need cooked chicken for a recipe I have it all set to go. For this soup I didn't even bother to defrost it because I knew it would cook in the soup.

No comments: