Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cowboy Cookies

My favorite thing about this recipe is that it lends itself so well to substitutions. If you are short on white sugar, just compensate with brown. I've made these cookies with all butter, all shortening, and a mixture of both with good results every time.

Cowboy Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour (Here's a tip: Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. Replace anywhere from 50-100% of the flour in any cookie recipe with WWPF and get a nice chewy texture.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (another tip: I always, and I mean ALWAYS, double the vanilla. In everything.)
2 cups rolled oats
Fruits and chips of your liking: about 1 1/2-2 cups total add-ins. My favorite combinations are: coconut and milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and craisins, cut up dried apple and toffee chips, or just plain semisweets or M&M's.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets or use parchment (that's my preference). Sift together dry ingredients. (I'm not going to lie. I skip this step- I just hate dirtying that many bowls.)
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, shortening, and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, oats, and add-ins of your choice. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared sheets.
3. Bake for 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven. As soon as the edges turn light brown, they are done. Take them out and let them cool for 4 or 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack or directly to your stomach.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, for the love! I just made these tonight to take for choir treats tomorrow, and they are to DIE for! Yum. I used white chocolate chips and craisens. These are a keeper.

Jannicke said...

I have made these before and turned them into Gluten Free Cowboy Cookies with a mixture of 1 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour and 1/2 cup potato starch. I also added 2 tsp Xanthan Gum. Of course you have to make sure that you buy gluten free oats instead of regular oats. They were great!