Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Alfredo for the Other 364 Days of the Year

This recipe is from Rocco Dispirito and was published in the April 2010 issue of Runner's World. We had it for dinner tonight, and I was pleasantly surprised by its level of tastiness. So, I share.

Rocco's Fettuccine Alfredo

8 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
1 T butter
3 minced garlic cloves
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch of nutmeg
3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup 5 percent Greek yogurt (I used nonfat)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl, whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Pour into saute pan and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally. When sauce is thick and simmering, whisk in 1/2 cup of cheese until melted. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in yogurt until smooth. Toss fettuccine with Alfredo sauce, season with salt and pepper, and top pasta with remaining cheese. Serves 4 (at under 350 calories a serving. Nice.)

I added 2 cups of cooked peas to my pasta, mainly because I'm always trying to add vegetables to my food. It was good!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'll have to try that. One tablespoon butter for the whole batch? Amazing! Yum