Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Alfredo Sauce

I love a good Alfredo sauce! I know how terrible they are for me, but sometimes I just can't resist. I rationalize when eating out and just order a side of Alfredo that I can dip my bread in, and then I tell myself, "It wasn't nearly as much as you would have consumed if you'd ordered pasta with Alfredo sauce on it." And, about once a year, I make homemade Alfredo sauce. Then I run, run, run like hell for the next week to compensate.

Alfredo Sauce

3 Tablespoons butter
8 ounces heavy whipping cream
salt to taste
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (the real stuff. Not the crap in the green can.)
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1 egg yolk
additional grated cheese for garnish

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add heavy cream, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, nutmeg, and grated cheeses. Stir constantly until melted. Add a little hot liquid to egg yolk, whisking constantly, then add egg yolk mixture back into cream mixture, again whisking constantly. (This is called "tempering" and it allows you to add eggs to hot sauces by first bringing the eggs up in temperature with the addition of just a little hot liquid so that you can add them to sauces without having little bits of egg in there.) Simmer over medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with additional cheese if desired.

Then call your cardiologist and sincerely apologize.

No comments: