Friday, July 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Pancakes

The stars aligned for breakfast this morning: I had leftover sweet potatoes from last night and a recipe in my binder that I have been dying to try. I also had a little white lie in my mind prepared for when my children asked the inevitable question, "Why are my pancakes ORANGE?" but either the lighting in my kitchen is very poor or my children are horribly unobservant because they ate happily and the question never came up. ("Food coloring!" I was going to tell them...)

Sweet Potato Pancakes
3/4 pound mashed sweet potatoes (from a can, baked, boiled...I don't think it is really going to matter. Just cook 'em.)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter (I subbed canola oil)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (Of course I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.

In a blender, blend sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, and butter or oil. (A note: my potatoes had a little brown sugar in them from when I made them for dinner last night, and I LOVED the slightly sweet taste of the pancakes this morning. If that sounds like something you'd want, throw about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar in the blender as well.)

Whisk wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients to form a batter.

Cook on a lightly greased griddle over medium heat. Serve with maple syrup.

No comments: