Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lemon Squares

Have I mentioned I'm obsessed with lemon? and desserts? and making things that taste just how my Grandma Barratt's did? These lemon bars obviously are one of my favorite things ever. EVER.

Lemon Squares
Crust:
1 cup butter (no substitutions)
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)

Topping:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.

To make crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and powder sugar. Cut in cold butter until combined and crumbly. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan. If the crust is sticking to your hands instead of the pan, your butter has warmed up too much. Put the crust and pan into the fridge for a few minutes then try again. Bake crust for 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges.

To make topping:
While crust is baking, prepare topping. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, and baking powder. Add eggs and lemon juice. Mix well and pour on top of hot baked crust. Return to the oven for an additional 20-25 minutes. Cool, dust with powder sugar, and refrigerate.
Cut into bars and serve cold.

My friend Janet adds a sour cream topping to her lemon bars: 2 cups sour cream, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix together, then spread over the top of the bars for the last 7 minutes of baking.

**Also, sometimes I get really crazy and make key lime bars instead. I just substitute key lime juice for the lemon juice and add a couple drops of green food coloring to the topping mixture. (I hate it when my mind is thinking "lemon square" and my taste buds don't match, so I like a visual cue.)**

No comments: