Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Broccoli Salad

This is one of those foods that I get a very specific craving for and nothing else will do. I like it because you can use a variety of ingredients depending on what you have on hand.



Broccoli Salad

6 cups broccoli pieces (raw, cut into little bites)
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 cups red grapes, cut in half
Those are the "Musts." Here are the "Optionals."
Raisins or Craisins
Sunflower Seeds
Slivered Almonds
Bacon (some people use a lot. I find that 2 or 3 slices cooked and finely crumbled gives enough bacon flavor without rendering alternate health therapies necessary.)


Dressing:
Whisk together:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar


Mix it all up. I like to make this an hour or two before I serve it.

Here is the straight dope on the dressing. I'm a little hesitant to put an entire cup of mayo in just about anything. The last time I made this I halved the mayo (and used a "light" variety), doubled the vinegar, and used Splenda instead of sugar. Still tasty and not nearly as guilt-ridden.

No comments: