Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala

This recipe comes from one of my favorite cooking sites, Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I am rarely disappointed by her recipes, and this one was another winner. I have modified the cooking instructions a little because I made mine in the crock pot.

Here is the link to her original instructions if you want to make this on the stove top.

Chicken Tikka Masala
Note: This recipe requires that the chicken marinates overnight.

Masala Marinade:
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used Greek nonfat)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T finely grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (I left this out)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon EACH salt and pepper
2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces

Combine all of this in a glass or stainless steel bowl (some of these spices will stain plastic). I actually used a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day, put the following in your crockpot:
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (leave this out if you don't like spicy things, or substitute paprika both here and in the marinade)
28 oz. crushed tomatoes
16 oz. tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
Marinated chicken

Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4.
Before serving stir in:
1 cup heavy cream (I subbed fat free half and half)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped.

Serve over rice.

You'll notice that Mel's recipe has ground almonds in it...I left those out for the same reason I substituted the heavy cream: I don't like wearing fat pants.

No comments: