Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Taco Meat

Okay, I get it. Those taco packets from the store are incredibly convenient. I'm guilty of using them. But, sometimes, when you are mid-taco, don't you ever think, "This reminds me of a chemical..." I do. That's why I love this recipe for beef tacos from my friend Janet.

Beef Taco Meat
2 T oil
1 small onion
3 medium cloves garlic
2 T chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp cider vinegar

Heat oil, add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic, spices, 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until fragrant. Add beef and cook until no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, broth (true confession: I usually skip the broth and just dump a small can of tomato sauce in and call it good), brown sugar, and vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick.

Also, if I am feeding a crowd, I like to drain and rinse a can of red or black beans and toss those in with the tomato sauce.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yum! Not to "one-up" you or anything, but have you ever done any of the make-a-mix recipes? There is a mexican meat mix in there, you roast a bunch of beef (I use two roasts and one pork loin) all day, then combine it with the mexican spices, and then freeze in smaller portions in ziploc bags in the freezer. Then anytime you want tacos, VOILA! Yummy. But yours look very gourmet and yummy too.