Friday, September 24, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

It's obvious I'm a hug fan of Cooking Light. Most of the recipes I make as written. Others (like this one), I make the Cooking Light way once, then I think to myself, "I'm going to put some of the fat right back in this because it is totally worth it." So, although the seed of this recipe came from CL, I'm quite certain they would NEVER claim it.

Baked Potato Soup
2.5 pounds baking potatoes
2/3 cup flour
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
6 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chopped green onion
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Bake potatoes, let cool, and scrape out insides. Coarsely mash and set aside.

Melt butter in large stock pot. Saute onion in butter for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly (Seriously. Whisk constantly. If you burn your roux you will be starting over.). Whisk in milk (true confession: sometimes I substitute 2 cups of heavy cream for 2 cups of the milk). Cook until slightly thickened, whisking frequently. Stir in potatoes, cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and bacon. Heat through.

Top with additional chopped onion, cheese, and bacon. This is a great one to serve in bread bowls.

1 comment:

Kara said...

One of my favorite Cooking Light recipes too. I make this all the time during the winter, often for company. I always add extra sour cream and cheese, too!