Monday, January 10, 2011

Oatmeal Bread


I found a recipe for delicious looking oatmeal molasses rolls, and in the intro, the blog author posted that she wasn't an experienced bread maker and she had made a few modifications to the recipe (the original was James Beard). So I made the rolls which had great flavor but were dense and hard little rocks. When will I learn???? After my roll failure I googled the James Beard Oatmeal Molasses Bread and gave the concept a second attempt with the un-polluted recipe- it was a delicious success.

So, although I'm a confessed recipe manipulator, take my advice and leave this one as is.

Oatmeal Bread
by James Beard

2 packages active dry yeast (or 5 tsp)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees)
1/3 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup molasses
1 T salt
1 egg
5-5 1/2 cups bread flour (I used white)

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes then stir well. Place butter and boiling water in bowl of mixer and stir until completely melted. Add rolled oats, molasses and salt. Mix thoroughly and cool to lukewarm (don't skip this- you want the oats to dissolve a little). Add the yeast mixture to the oat mixture, followed by the egg, then flour. (Dough should pull away from sides but still stick to the bottom of mixing bowl).

Put the dough in a greased mixing bowl, turning so all sides are greased, then cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Turn out the chilled dough on a floured work surface (I skip the flour and lightly spray my counter with cooking spray). Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover with a dish towel and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Bake bread until loaves are nicely browned (here's my only point of contention with the recipe: It said the loaves would take an hour to cook, and mine were done in 42 minutes. Be advised.). Remove bread from pans and cool on a rack, brushing tops with butter if desired.

To my friends who are SAF yeast users (like me): I did switch up the dough making just a hair since I don't proof my yeast: I heated both cups of water to boiling and poured it over the butter, sugar, molasses, salt, and oats, then cooled to lukewarm. Then I added the yeast, egg, and flour.

No comments: